Sunday, 18 September 2011

Peanutty noodle bowl



I am not sure if Mike realizes it yet, but I have been feeding him vegan suppers all week. After he devours his meal I have the urge to tease him about eating vegan food, but I bite my tongue, I'm just happy he enjoys it. For the past couple of days he has made noise about peanut noodles. I figure this is a nice way to use up the rest of the green beans and sweet potato I have in fridge so I fulfilled the request.

After dinner it is back to thesis work, starting with drawing some diagrams of the HCV genome and lifecycle (HCV being the main character in my thesis). Illustrator is not the easiest program in the world to work with but I am excited to make my own figures. Also, I have my own personal computer-modeling expert (Mike) to give me some tips and to help me out when I get so frustrated I want to push my monitor off of the table. It happens.


Peanutty noodle bowl recipe (with broccoli, green beans, sweet potato, mushrooms and yellow pepper)

Ingredients
  • 3 mushrooms thinly sliced 
  • 1/4 cup onion chopped
  • 1.5 cups broccoli trees chopped into small heads
  • 1 cup chopped sweet potato (1/2" or smaller cubes)
  • 1 clove garlic crushed
  • 2 tbsp ginger minced
  • 1 cup green beans (2 inch pieces)
  • 1/4 cup yellow pepper
  • Carrots in matchstick slices
  • 1/4 cup green onion
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • fresh lemon wedges
  • cilantro
  • About 4 cups prepared noodles - any kind you want (I used instant noodles)

Directions
  1. Prepare the noodles according to package directions. 
  2. Prepare peanut sauce (below).
  3. Saute the mushrooms in canola oil on moderate-high heat until nicely browned (about 5 - 7 minutes) and take off heat. (I do this because I love how the mushrooms taste when you cook them this way - you can see how they look in the picture above).
  4. Saute onion, garlic, ginger and sweet potato in 2 tbsp canola oil until sweet potato starts to soften about 10 minutes (medium heat). 
  5. Add beans and broccoli and cook until slightly soft (not mushy), about 5 minutes. Stir in yellow pepper and green onion and cook about 3 minutes longer. 
  6. Drizzle on one or two tbsp of soy sauce and 1 tbsp of lime juice and stir.
  7. Coat noodles in about 1/2 of the peanut sauce.
  8. Divide noodles in a bowl, top with vegetables, mushrooms and more peanut sauce and another splash of lemon juice and cilantro.

Peanut sauce ingredients
  • 3 tbsp peanut butter
  • 3 tbsp hoisin
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce 
  • 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
  • 1 tsp honey (agave or maple syrup for vegans)
  • 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp sambal olek chili garlic
  • 3 tbsp mango nectar (or fresh OJ?) 

Directions
  1. Process until smooth in a food processor




Peanutty noodle bowl



No comments:

Post a Comment